What is a Variation Order?
In specific situations where compliance with the zoning regulation is unreasonable or impractical, a property owner can apply to council for approval of a variation.
Typically a variation would provide specific 'relief' from the zoning requirements governing:
height, site area, width or coverage, building floor space, minimum yards, dwelling unit density or parking and loading requirements, as they apply to an individual site.
What is the process in applying for a variation order?
- Contact the RM Office to make application
- Pay applicable fee to the RM
- Public notification will be sent out, with a hearing date scheduled
- Public Hearing
- RM Council either denies, approves, or approves with conditions
- Council's decision is final. There is no appeal.