Municipal Water Service

The RM of Stanley has an extensive network of potable water systems. Below you will find some common questions and answers regarding the water utility systems.

What do I do if I need a water hookup?

Call the RM administration office for the required permit.

When do the water bills get mailed out?

Water reading notices are mailed out on a quarterly basis. (March, June, September, and December)  Water is billed on a quarterly basis and mailed out in January, April, July, and October.


Outstanding water accounts will be added to the tax roll for the property.  Interest at the rate of 1.25% per month is charged on overdue accounts.


* Attention Landlords/Renters:  All correspondence (reading notices, bills, etc) is mailed to the owner of the property.

What areas of the municipality have water services?

A major portion of the municipality is serviced with potable water service. To find out if there is water service in your area or to find out how to get water service contact the municipal administration office.

Where does the water come from?

  • The Massey system receives water from an aquifer located on the escarpment in the south/west area of the municipality.
  • The Cheval system receives water from the Minnewasta Lake.
  • All other Stanley owned water systems receive water from the Pembina Valley Water Co-op which treats water from the Red River.
  • The Border Valley Water Co-op is an independent water Co-op and provides potable drinking water for the village of Reinland and surrounding area.
  • The Blumenfeld/Hochfeld Water Co-op is an independent water co-op and provides potable drinking water for the villages of Blumenfeld, Hochfeld, and surrounding areas.

Who determines the price of water?

The municipality sets the price of water through a by-law approved by the Public Utilities Board. The Public Utilities Board acts as a regulator of prices for utilities in Manitoba.

For more information on the Public Utilities Board visit

How do I get water service to my property?

Contact the municipal administration office for information on obtaining water service.  Click here for the Water Connection Fees Policy.

Where can I find additional information on the water systems?

You can view one of the following annual reports:

Where can I find additional information if there is a Boil Water Advisory?
Once a Boil Water Advisory has been issued, citizens should use boiled or bottled water for:
  •  Drinking and making ice 
  •  Preparing beverages, including infant formula
  •  Preparing food
  •  Brushing Teeth
Those signed up for Connect will receive notices through email or text, along with a notice when the Boil Water Advisory has been lifted.  Click here to sign up for Connect.

Who can I contact about questions/concerns?

  • For emergencies regarding any Stanley utility system call 204-325-4101 and press 7 when prompted.
  • For general questions or inquiries contact the municipal administration office. Email: or Ph: 204-325-4101

Private Water Well Owner Information

Owning a Private Water Well is the responsibility of the land owner. All proper permits and applications are required to be filled out, and can be done so through the following contacts or links:

  • Water Use Licensing Section - 200 Saulteaux Crescent, Winnipeg, MB - Phone 204-945-3983 - Fax 204-948-2357 Email:
  • Information on Managing an existing well
Who do I contact for line locates? 
For water line locates, please contact Click Before You Dig at 1-800-940-3447 or visit